Monday, May 16, 2011

The 10 minute gold making project.

Mmaking Gold... how to do it.. prinicples and production, thoughts and ideas... Habits and preconceived ideas..
Background... I had all professions except tailoring, and managed to amass 30Kish w/ 6 80s... woo hoo me... now... 30K is what I roll over daily...

The 30K number is just my journey... and it was the 5K number and slowly grew...  but the number you have does not matter...  I was stuck...  I was not making any really high volumes of gold, but I had epic flight and could cover raiding costs gems, enchants food etc w/ out a problem.  6 Professions was a convenience and a Save my way to greater wealth...

So the 10 minute gold making project... what does all of this have to do with that... read on (its a longer post, so grab drink if you need)

At that time I was doing what so many players do... I was competing with myself and my peers and guildees for raiding purposes....  I played to raid...  I PLAYED TO RAID...

So... As I look back, I can identify what changed.  I rerolled...  NEW TOON, NEW SERVER, NO HEIRLOOMS, NO STIMULUS HELP (no one said here are some bags or gold to help you get started)

I was a Level 1 toon, w/ an arrogant attitude to do it on my own with no assist...  The other 80s sit on that other server and continue to collect dust.  This new toon was going to be part of raiding guild, but I needed to fund my own way for reasons and motivation that are self centered and elitist in nature...

Number one question I answered with that toon.. What professions have the highest profit potential.  At the time, 2 weeks Prior to the Cata Launch, and right at the time of the sundering of azeroth the toon was born and picke up herbalism and inscription right off the bat...  NO OTHER PROFESSION IMO can at level 5 with a crafting profession make something that level 80s will buy and use and need... Glyphs.. not armor, not enchants, jewlery, weapons item enhancements etc...  ONLY GLYPHS...  Retaining my wealth back in the day and the addons I used successfully were key to how I Proceded, but, the Great breaking of the AH interface and auctioneer.... Enter Auctionator... found it, cause it worked and it was better than the default.. used it, loved it and have since uninstalled auctioneer.  Lil Sparky's workshop.. those 2 addons were king... with incription Panda is pretty cool too...

Now, everything I did was to level the professions on the way up... AND to increase my wealth... I learned markets, economy and the need to cancel post, be patient... Incription is also great for this because it is cheap to list and re-list your wares over and over and over and realize you will almost never sell the goods at a profit... (because it is a leveling glyph from the trainier)...  I had not yet really started in with the mass posting and cance posting processes...  Everything was still manual as I hung on to my old way of "retaining" wealth and not "creating" wealth.  My game was DMCs... and what a game it was... early cata, Massive population, and raiding nature of the server fed the markets to sell DMC cards and decks and the trinkets at volume...  I learned my practice that I was making money by milling...  The masive profits were a result of 20K in herbs milled into 30K of inks (AH values here) and the inks were processed into 35K of cards and cards were processed into 40K or decks (all AH values here and not actuall sales, though in MANY cases they were close)  Making money while leveling, selling at profits over mats, and having "farmed" the mats made the gold on the bump of money I had a greater contribution...  But the toon was from the ground up a project to make piles of gold...  and it was a process i continued to refine and learn from the success and failures......

So, "where is this going" you ask... getting there...  When your computer is acting up and running slow...  "CTL+ALT Delete" reset and reset the Modem/router too... Well thats what I did... 

Changes:
  • As I made gold, I became a student of the markets and it became part of my daily gameing...
  • There is NO RISK in the game unless ...
  • I started at low level and low risk (relativly speaking)
Hmmm, thats all that comes to mind, and it was my journey...

--No risk unless...  you become emotionally attached...  you only risk the way you feel about the gains and losses.  Its pixels.  There is no credit or enforceable bookies...  there is only the risk of getting closer to the starting point...
--Low risk... well, its relative,  most would agree that 5 gold is low risk.. but at the time it was 50% or more of my total holding...  It got me used to the percentage perspective.. now 50% of my assets is often hundreds of thousands...  but its still the same concept...

SO HOW DOES THIS APPLY TO THE TITLE...
Well, getting started...  I am planing, on making a project group of toons.. and chronicle a bit of info, on how to maximize the habits, and attitudes of low level gold making... at higher levels, you use the same priciples, just run higher volume and numbers in some categories, and lower in others...

Then 10 minutes a day, (maybe strech to 15 max) play an AH game...  repeatable training exercise anyone can do to learn and be a student in THEIR OWN MARKET, and such...  No need to have a high level toon, no entry barriers that are not overcome with short game times...  and pure, AH playing...  No toon will ever level past 20? or there about, and surely not 35...  Initially only going to level 1 toon to level 5 or so... then head to the big city...  and see just how quickly I can get mountains of gold, or more than I "should" be able to make at level 5.. no high level toon.  No high level crafting professions...  Should be fun, and it it is only 10 minutes a day, plus writing time on it... And there is nothing that says I will even do it every day...  This may even be a separate blog, as entries in this blog feel like they would be out of place...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ever have a conversation with yourself, ask and answer your own questions?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hrmm.... I like it... great idea... you should really go do this..

Hrmmm.. I think I do like it... Seems like it IS a really good idea... I might even have fun with it... Maybe Someone will be better for it...  Then I can feel good about knowing I helped one person... :-)  But maybe it might at least amuse me...  :-)

You Know your right, I am glad I thought of it.. and I am so glad you are so receptive to the idea..  let me know how it goes...

Yeah, read the blog... and let me know what you think.

You know you can count on me to let you know what I think about what you are thinking, and if we don't agree on your thinking, then I will tell you that too and we can amuse ourselves about what we think about what you are thinking about and in the end we will have at least thought about the things we were thinking about more and be closer to the answer to the question that got us thinking about what we are thinking about to begin with.

Great, makes perfect sense...


Edit: I made the separate Blog...  Here it is
http://ctlaltdelgoldmaking.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment