Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Making gold on the "Cycles"

Vile over at Viles Auctions and I seem to be on the same page...  His post on Cheating yourself out of Profit and my post Dont Undercut Yourself a day later we not on my part planned now was my post inspired by his.  I saw his post moments after publishing mine... Ironic? or something?

Anyway... his recent post Flipping the Leather seems to parallel again to my thoughts and posts... and actually brought me to write this one...

Patience is partly being able to predict and profit from some cycles... Not be the first one in second place saying you could have or any other excuse... you do or you dont, you risk and win or lose, but either way you should be learning... "Wax on... Wax off..." though Mr. Miyagi is not there to point out the lesson... its much more up to you to feel the pain analyze and learn...
Vile over at Viles Auctions and I seem to be on the same page...  His post on Cheating yourself out of Profit and my post Dont Undercut Yourself a day later we not on my part planned now was my post inspired by his.  I saw his post moments after publishing mine... Ironic? or something?

Anyway... his recent post Flipping the Leather seems to parallel again to my thoughts and posts... and actually brought me to write this one...

Patience is partly being able to predict and profit from some cycles... Not be the first one in second place saying you could have or any other excuse... you do or you dont, you risk and win or lose, but either way you should be learning... "Wax on... Wax off..." though Mr. Miyagi is not there to point out the lesson... its much more up to you to feel the pain analyze and learn...

Cycles in this game can be detected and profited from... some favorites...

  1. The holiday achievements.. they come and go...
  2. Major content patches, patch notes will tell you where the money is...
  3. Expansions...
  4. Daily cycles, somewhere around 5-12 p.m. server things change dynamically its when more people are on either A. buying stuff or B. trying to sell stuff... early morning are the leftovers and lots of good deals to be found... sometimes and some markets... 20-30% price fluctuations can be found in a day...
  5. Weekly cycles, start on tues and fri IMO.. there is the raiding PVP, gearing, grinding valor and conquest points, and the casual weekenders and farmer that are not not raiding, instead are getting more gold for then next raid cycle etc... Those will impact volume of sales, and and volume of listings... both will change prices by 30% or more on the weekly cycle
  6. The supply and demand cycles and the FOTM (Flavor Of The Month) cycles.. these are what good goblins profit off of, and bad goblins are always late to the dance and the good goblins let the FOTM player have the market and shit to something new... or they are so fixed in the market and can take the lower profits and then prices rebound... its about the "apparant profitability" or one market or another, and then its flooded, and prices crash... but FOTM finds too little profit and moves out and profits rebound..
  7. Anual cycles, these thing revolve around player bases... School times, when school is in there has always seemed to be a larger population of players in wow... this will flex markets...
  8. Speciall events Cycles... In the U.S.  AHing on Super Bowl Sunday... your almost all alone in the market... I imagine it would be very similar for the World Cup in Europe...
  9. Seasonal Cycles, based on weather and people interest in "getting out of the house" after the winter, and others have impact...
  10. Hollidays... Christmas and Easter come to mind imediately, traditional Family gathering days.. I dont imagine many people take the lap top to the in-laws for a christmas/thanksgiving/independence day/easter holliday... etc...
AND FINALLY...

   11.  Mid Patch slumps... I am definitely in this cycle personally... I was raiding DS 8 times a week.. 4 85s, LFR and a normal run weekly for each.. DS was getting old and boring... So... I quit.. I still raid my main and lead the group in DS, however, The other 3.. maybe.. w/e... if I do, I do, if I don’t I don’t...

I have moved on to farming AQ for chant patterns (ruins, not temple) and I am playing with the twinks.. I am counting the ~300 gold from one clear in AQ, 150 from bosses and 150 from trash drops, and another 300G in mats from DEing stuff... I am gearing out twinks for BGs... at level 19 and dragging a crowd of guildees along with me.. sorta... Sometimes making twinks is far more fun than actually playing them... time will tell...

Vile tagged this too.. Now is a time to relax and change some of your routines... learn something new, do something you have wanted to and not done for a while... Explorer Title? Loremaster Title? Insane Title?  or any other option.. Work on  and Xmog set???

The game is in the mid patch slumps... lot of others are bored of DS and now it seems more and more left to more and more scrubby players making far more time and trouble than its worth... Many would say that one month (or less) into this expansion, it was over since many had already killed the final boss in LFR, and I tend to agree in many ways...

So ways to profit...
Talk to your friends.. what are they doing, and their friends... and what could you be doing.. they are leveling alt to get new professions? how many more are doing this... like Vile's Rugged leather post... You could very likely pick up a large volume of mats to flip into MoP for all the leveling Monks and Pandarens and all the profession leveling Monks and Pandarens...

things to think on...
  1. Bags.. leveling toons want bags... can you get cheap mats now as raiding and PVP diminish and leveling and farming old zones picks up?
  2. Mats, leveling toons want mats to level professions... (or leveled toons, there are, to me, a surprising number of players that have not leveled professions when they hit 85...
  3. Gear and with it leveling speed and power and such for those leveling toons in PVP and LFD... or even just questing...
  4. Leveling toons want to in almost all cases go fast... how can you speed up their enterprise?
  5. How can you prepare now with the lower prices of mats for the MoP release?
  6. Is any of this worth it... again Vile posted Inflation or Deflation in MoP?
The last is not something I have really considered...

Sit on my egg or invest it for MoP?  what to do?

What are your plans? got any?

No comments:

Post a Comment