Friday, February 24, 2012

Dont undercut yourself

Or sell yourself short or many other things you could do to cut your profits short...

There is some guess work and considerations to AH deposit fees as well as market saturation and the other factors that play in...  But, IMO, always start your list price high and work it down to the happy balance for volume and net profit per sale... These things are just a way I do everything, or a logic applied to most decisions I make when I go to the AH to sell STUFF...

What I am getting at is NOT your glyphs, gems, chants markets, or any other saturated market for Cata goods.   Things that are current for me as I am build a couple twink 19s, including a lot of farm runs in SFK for Shadowfang and Mindthrust Bracers specifically... So far what I have gotten is piles of cloth, linen, wool, a bit of silk and a lot of greens... these are not really things people go in the market to sell... they are more a transitional offload the inventory while leveling thing for players... However, a friend doing the same thing with me said, "I sell the greens for 1-2 gold each... GAHHHH... that’s what I am talking about...  I sell for 5 and more...

Greens for the 10ish to 19 levels are much like the 77-79 Cata greens, there is a large market for many of them to gear up toons for dungeons, and BGs and just simply speed up the leveling process...
Of the owl, of the monkey, of the bear and others are good sellers, and though a little slower at 5-75 gold each, I never sell them for such low prices as my friend... I never sell greens for anything close to the DE values.... I will DE them myself after attempts to sell them for profit and then w/e... People will pay 10-75 gold and more for these things... of the whale is one that just gets listed relatively cheap... stam spirit, and of the gorilla is another, strength/spirit.. bahhh.. Garbage... non heirloom slots also will command a lot higher value, boots, bracers, gloves and belts...

In these realms of low level gear, the things that matter most are stam and Str/Agi/Int... Int/spirit is okay too... but most spirit gear at this level is not worth a lot... 5 gold, 10 gold etc is pretty cheap to a player on an alt w/ and 85... and any decently knowledgeable player will sell the meats, cloth, ore, skins, herbs, from a leveling toon, and it’s pretty easy to sell 'em at these prices, since a stack of cloth can go for 10G or more...

Another thing, cloth... in almost all cases, you will lose some profits if you just undercut the lowest guy... this is where auctionator comes in and does so well.... If you don’t use it, well, maybe you could find some great utility for it... rather than one line for every auction it will group them per line like this:
3 stacks of 20 at 23S each 4g60s/stack
26 stacks of 1 at 24S each 24S/stack
4 stacks of 3 at 24S75C each   73s25c stack
26 stacks of 20 at 65s each 13g/stack
Etc etc with all the rising prices....
what you do is just "alt" click the cloth in your bags, and then click bottom entry guy in the example... because he has a large volume or a wall that listing above reduces your chance to sell.. the other guys are just small amounts and listing just to unload it FAST... be patient, use a 48 hour auction... it sets your price to undercut that guy at 64S each and 12g80s/stack  that’s a lot better than just blindly undercutting the guy at 4g60s/stack its triple the gold income, and it’s so easy to do...

In my case, it’s not like I will go set up TSM posting or anything to automate this, I am going to do it manually.  I should take the couple extra seconds to look at the stats on the gear and sell it at 5 gold or 50 gold based on what it is... what level to equip, and what stats it has... Playing at some low level PVP helps me to know what is good... for instance, I know that some mages, a lot of rogues and many hunter tear some faces of in bgs, Kittys often too...  for healers, Priests are amazing w/ thier bubble... but most BGs have a couple clothies/healers maybe a warrior/pally, and 6 of the 10 in WSG on average (estimated) are rogues and hunters... selling the gear at the right price to the right crowd and knowing a bit about that... you can easily tripple what you make...

Happy hunting... All the little things you do add up cumulatively to make and maintain the pile of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment