Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 07 – The reason behind your blog’s name

Spellbound and the, 20 days blogging challenge

Day 07 – The reason behind your blog’s name

We all have our reasons for playing, and we all have a diverse set of interest toward the game.  If most people share one thing in common, it is the normal cycles of gaming, the boredom, excitement, the highs and lows of our various ventures... For many that is the gold making game, for others it is raids or PVP or both, achieves, collections and other things... And there are many other pursuits we play at frequently...

For me, I have always come back to raiding, I have been involved as a Guild lead and raid lead because I imagine I like it... It keeps me busy... I do pretty well with some aspects of it, and frankly, Other people seem in my mind to fail at it for many reasons, consistency, fairness, the required extra time and work... Unreasonable expectations or other points that contribute to a successful run with a group of people...

The blog was born when I caught one of those cycles... I had for a long time worked up a utopia of guilds... at least in my own wildest imagination, and eventually, it may have been great, but the investment was going to be to high... That guild prompted this blog and much of what followed.  It was early Cata and about 5 of the 9 players that were going to be a HC/HM raiding group were ready in about a week or 2 of release for raids, but getting pugs was a challenge, and when 4 or more expect a carry, or can not decide on the toon to play, and start leveling and gearing up all over... Add in a little personal drama of the worst kinds, and people deciding to take a break, and then one day you log on to raid, and the guild MOTD is to the affect of: "There will be no more raiding here, stay if you like or leave."   That left me jaded more than any other failure of the groups I had been in... at that point raiding sucked and people were so non committal and inconsistent with their enterprises, always chasing a dream and following some one else’s empty words and inflated promises of the future, when they had little to back up any of the claims...

I rolled a new level on toon, "Achieve" and then made a guild "commitment" the only rules were pretty much you could not join if you were over level 15... period, leave, you were not coming back... it was built on random invites, and had a lot of toons that were short term distractions of players... they would be active for a couple weeks and then gone... Guild leveling was really slow with the low level toons, they make almost NO contributions to a guild gaining xp... Anyway, I was paying gold for various levels achieved by the players, and that kept some leveling, but it was a dismal few, and months later, I abandon the project, kept the guild for the bank space, and got back into raiding, a couple raid leads quit the game or left the guild, and events found me later in pretty dismal group, with poor performance, poor progression and generally just not fun... I began my own group, contributed to the guild and then I was leading raids, and some how, I was promoted to Co-GM... why... don't know, there was no offter, there was no discussion, just logged one day and noticed I was...

These days, Gold is a tool in raiding, I take care of gems and chants for any gear players will use in the raid... Main spec and off spec if they reasonably will be contributing to the guild success with the gear, I take care of flasks and cauldrons for the raid, and generally, the raiders have very little financial worries to maintain their raiding...

Anyway, that’s how the guild began, It evolved, and now hold almost nothing but the name, and old posts to connect it to its beginning...  However the name still applies.  IMO, you must achieve commitment to make it in the gold enterprises, it will not happen in a day, a week or even a month... it will take MONTHS to learn and position yourself for markets, and it will take consistency to really hit the big numbers...

No comments:

Post a Comment