Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 04 – Your best WoW memory

Spellbound and the, 20 days blogging challenge

Day 04 – Your best WoW memory

This one is supper easy... If you played in BC, or even since, and payed any attention to the world PVP in Hellfire Penninsula, maybe even done the daily  for the colliseum, the stadium and the other of the 3 control points for the zone buff... you may be aware of the difficulties with gaining control of the 3 control points... I was still noobin it up for the most part, and had some sense of reason that I wanted to take it back, I guess I wanted the tokens to buy some gear from the vendor...  Back then it was pretty active on a low scale basis on that server, almost constant skirmishes with small groups distracting themselves from the questing or othe game pursuits.  Often friends would come to the zone and the battles were decided by the number of friends one group could get to respond and if that number was more than the other. 


Flags were blue (alliance) then grey (neutral) then red (horde) back and forth flapping in the wind.  The numbers were close, but they were not close enough, and favored the other other faction...  I was pitted to keep fighting... I wanted to get the zone and the daily completed to get more tokens for the vendor gear...

The heated skirmish involved me and about 3-4other guys defending or attacking, against consistently 5-6 from the other faction... The numbers just seemed to favor them by one or 2 always... We just could not and did not get the upper hand for what seems now like it was 45 minutes.  It was turning into a frustrating last stand that resulted in each of us getting to make another corpse run... and another.... and another...

I have always played w/ game sound on... to me its just part of the game, there is so much richness and indicators about things around you that can que you into various events, procs and enemy abilities.  At the time, there was a noise I ignored repeatedly, since it seemed to be of little or no importance to me, or have any effect on the small PVP encounter I was in and the zone wide yell was just cluttere in my chatbox that I did not read.  And directly It did not have impact in my little world.  But the sounds were KJ, the zone's world boss in combat doing zone wide yells about the devastation he was attempting on the raid group that was taking him out.  I had barely a concept of who or what KJ was, but, I knew it was someone I wanted to kill, but replacing the greens and crappy blues I had was first on the list...

It turns out a good RL friend from work was in that raid, my barber actually, and he was taking KJ down... I happened to notice he was online and in the zone... I asked for his help and about 5 minutes later, I got a lot more than I asked for... I imagine the sequence of events were something like this: -Finish off the boss -> Hand out loots -> My buddy making a petition to the group to help me out... About 25 guys from that KJ raid descended down upon that PVP area. Chaos and confusion from the enemy as they clearly seemed unsure of their best course of action, the flight or fight instict ensued as from their flying mounts the remnants of that raid dismounted midair tossing out instant cast spells as they fell from the sky.  The flying mounts alone were enough to impress me since I had yet to get one... They hit the ground running and in organized chaos, overwhelmed the enemy then proceded to run clean up, and, well, simply put they just oblitered the other side... They hung around briefly as the flight or fight decision was not universal from the enemy and discouraged any imediate attempts to retake anything with a the just rewards of another corpse run,  I barely engaged the enemy, I just watched in awe, and smiled and laughed about what had just happened.. The victory was absolutely monumentat at the time for me... It felt like that token from the dialy quest was such big step to getting myself into a position to be killin KJ myself in the future... It was just an absolute high that lasted for.. well untill now.. years later...

For 45 minutes I guess, I had been frustrated with the situation, and died about 15 times to the slightly imbalanced fight that was going on... In the brief closin 5 minutes of the battle, in that moment, I watched the power of one friend and one request for one persons help, turn into so much more.  The victory was enough to make the top of the list...

Most memorable moment in WOW, BTW, TY John, You were that friend.  : D

No comments:

Post a Comment